Liver is one of the organs in our digestive system and has to function smoothly for the well being of a person. It is the organ aiding in removal of toxic substances from the body while the food is digested. Its malfunction may result in the individual experiencing multiple discomforts.
If the liver health issues aren’t treated at an early stage, it may pave way for total liver failure. Normally, liver failures take considerable time period, sometimes it takes few years to stop the liver function completely. However, in some rare cases the liver may cease to function in just forty-eight hours. The ailments related with the liver can be caused by multiple reasons.
The reasons are:
- Heredity – Hemochromatosis is an inherited ailment that occurrs due to large amount of iron deposits in the body.
- Viruses – Few virus infections can cause liver to function inappropriately.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and smoking continuously slowly damages the liver cells affecting the liver functions.
- Obesity – Presence of excessive fatty tissues creates some undesired health issues concerning liver functions.
- Ailments like Hepatitis B, D & C.
- Malnutrition – Having insufficient nutrients won’t help in keeping the digestive health perfect resulting in liver malfunctioning.
- Sometimes negative aspects of some potent medicines or drug act unfavorable resulting in total damage of the liver.
Earlier detection of health issues may be beneficial to prevent liver failure. However ,some symptoms are similar to other ailments. Monitoring the symptoms is quite essential to be safe from liver failure.
The symptoms indicating the liver health issues:
- Abdominal swelling and severe pain.
- Swelling in the legs and ankles.
- Itching on skin.
- Skin and eyes appear yellowish.
- Color of urine is dark.
- Feeling of fatigue continues constantly.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Not feeling hungry.
If the symptoms are observed, it will be best to consult an expert medical physician. It will be helpful to know the mode of treatment involved in liver ailments.
General information on curing liver ailments:
If the liver is affected due to virus infection then it can be treated with medications. If liver disorders occur because of overdose of any powerful medicines like steroids then it can be easily treated. However, if the liver functions failure is continuing for long duration then liver transplant will be the only option. In most of the cases, liver transplant has been quite successful.
Noting the useful modes to prevent liver damage:
- Try to prevent the occurrence of Hepatitis.
- It will be wise to have proper diet food and avoid junk food.
- Alcohol should be taken in moderation.
- Not sharing personal toiletry items such as tooth brushes and razors.
- When you go for body piercing or tattooing make sure that they use hygienic equipment.
- Using condoms will be helpful in preventing infection.
It will be helpful to know more about the right ways applicable to take care of your liver by reading informative guidelines on the website of Dr Gurunath Reddy, a well acclaimed liver specialist.